Email campaign to Jeff Bezos
We are writing to let you and the rest of the world know all about who we are. The intent is for you to see that Turkers are not only actual human beings, but people who deserve respect, fair treatment and open communication. "Jeff Bezos may run Amazon and he may be a billionaire, but he is very accessible to his customers with an easy-to-find email address, email@example.com. And when his customers aren’t pleased, Bezos isn’t either." -businessinsider.com, 10/2013
What we want to say
- Turkers are human beings, not algorithms, and should be marketed accordingly
- Turkers should not be sold as cheap labour, but instead skilled, flexible labour which needs to be respected
- Turkers need to have a method of representing themselves to Requesters and the world via Amazon (not sure what that could be)
- Opening communication BOTH ways, meaning we end up with a two-way conversation going back and forth somehow
- A response from Mr. Bezos to individual emails as well as a public response to a group email we will provide.
- More resources for Turkers. (what would those be?)
- Presenting to media the truth about Turkers
- We don't all live in developing countries
- We’re not all unskilled
- We’re not all making $1.45/hour
- We’re not all Turking for beer money
How to participate
If you are a Turker, send an email to Jeff Bezos at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can either CC or forward your email to email@example.com to post it to this page. Here are some pointers to help you write your letter:
- Talk about "key demographics" - how much time you spend turking, pay information (try to go beyond income: how much you make, if that's changed over time, how much you need, what it pays for if that's of note), why you chose mTurk, why you don't have a "real" job, info about your family (dependents, be it kids or parents or disabled family members or...)
- We definitely think we need to keep it POSITIVE, and make that clear - this is not an airing of grievances, this is an introduction.
- First impressions are key, and the point is to show we are GOOD, skilled, intelligent people who have chosen this "career" not because we're the "dimmest bulbs" and it's all we can get. Get someone to proofread your email - in fact, if you want help from us on that, just ask! Post on the form () and we'll help edit it.
- If you want to, provide contact information (email or phone) so journalists can find and interview you. You can also optionally ask Jeff Bezos to write back a public response to firstname.lastname@example.org.